Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Upper quadrant pain after drinking alcohol, persisten pain after stopping alcohol, no nausea or diarrhea

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 660 Questions
Right upper quadrant pain after drinking alcohol but now I have stopped alcohol but the pain is still persistent. no nausea,vomiting or diarrhea
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 32 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Right upper quadrant pain in a past alcoholic is commonly due to gastritis or gastric ulcer diseases. I will suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and go for upper G.I. (gastrointestinal) endoscopy to exclude gastric erosion or gastritis changes or XXXXXXX ulcers. If ulcer found, it’s better to take biopsy from the edge of the ulcer along with rapid urease test to exclude helicobacter pylori infection.

Meanwhile I will suggest you to take frequent small amount food, avoid spicy food, smoking or alcohol intake further. You may also have pantoprazole tablet once daily in empty stomach.

Again you should know that heart diseases also commonly present with upper quadrant pain. So at least do an ECG to exclude heart problems.

Again gall bladder diseases especially with history of alcoholism are common causes of right upper quadrant abdominal pain. For that i will advise you to have an ultrasonography of upper abdomen.

I think diagnosis will be made with the above investigations and suggestions. If you want to know more you can ask me freely.

Wishing you quick recovery.

Dr Arnab Maji
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor