Do probiotic supplements affect helicobacter breath test results?

Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hey doctor,

I did the Helicobacter breath test about 6 months ago now but I have been reading up on it and I was wondering if probiotics would affect the results of the test? While I was doing the test I was still having Yakult probiotic milk drink could that have possibly produced a false negative in my case? Would it be worth doing again and if so how long would I have to be off probiotics for in order for it to be accurate? I am still having this sharp pain in my the center of my stomach off and on and the doctors haven't been able to figure out what it is quite yet even after doing a gastroscopy/colonoscopy which showed nothing.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No probiotics won’t effect results.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on this forum.
No probiotics won’t effect breath test.
Breath test is for H.Pylori bacteria while probiotic contains good bacteria’s of gut.
So probiotics won’t effect the test.
Have a CT abdomen done?
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 7 hours later
What are things that would effect the result of the H.Pylori test though? No I have not had a ct done but I don't see the point as I have already had an ultrasound of my abdomen and a gastroscopy/colonoscopy. I feel as if I may have low stomach acid which is causing me to have indigestion/belching/bloating and the reason being is because Nexium and any acid suppressing drugs make my symptoms way worse than they already are and because of the low stomach acid food is fermenting in my small intestines causing an overgrowth of bacteria. Is there anyway to test for that scenario stool tests, low acid tests?

Just to add as well I have noticed over the last 6 months that I have unintentionally lost weight. Around July I used to weight around 56.5kg and now I am down to 52.5kg without even trying or changing anything? What are the reasons that this could be?

I have been having digestion problems as I mentioned above but also lower abdominal and pelvic pains right in the centre where my bladder is, undigested food in stools and diarrhea too over the last 6 months.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
yes you can go for bacterial culture test of stool that test would tell you about the condition of gut flora.
Incomplete digestion of food is cause of weight loss.Digestion is a broad term which involves intake breakdown absorption and excretion of food.If any of the above process is hampered our body won't be able to utilize nutrients properly causing weight loss.
Breath test is not a very sensitive test hence you should go for endoscopy.
Secondly usg is a basic test far less sensitive then CT scan.So as problem is not resolving a Ct could be done.

A of now i would suggest you to continue taking nexium and probiotics get the tests done and inform me after that.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 46 hours later
I will get those tests done and let you know but I just had a question with the gastroscopy that I had 6 months ago I had it whilst I was still on Nexium 40mg once a day. Could that have possibly masked cancer of the stomach or any other abnormal things should I get the procedure done again since I have now been off Nexium for a couple of months? This was the article I was looking at below about it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/
Answered by Dr. Sunil 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
answer to patients query.

Detailed Answer:
Nexium 40 mg is too low a dose to mask symptoms of cancer of stomach.
I use to prescribe nexium 40 mg twice daily to most of my patients to prevent acidity caused due to other drugs.
For masking symptoms of a thing like cancer you would need continuous intravenous infusion of ppi (infact that too won't help).
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Would the nexium 40mg once faily effect results of a biopsy that's taken though or would it be too low of a dose also? I had a biopsy taken which didn't test for Helicobactor since I had the breath test and it only showed some mild inflammation.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answer

Detailed Answer:
No Nexium or any other PPI even in high doses won't effect your biopsy.
No acid suppressing agent can effect reports of biopsy.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 14 minutes later
One other thing how likely are 20 year olds to develop stomach cancer from a italian decent? Is it usually a hereditary thing I don't have any family history of it?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
answer

Detailed Answer:
Its very unlikely.
However i am practicing in asian nations so can't give you exact figures about italy.
Go for endoscopy (everything would be clear in a day).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 17 minutes later
I already had one 6 months ago which came up with nothing while I was on Nexium which is why I am wondering if it's worth re-doing while not being on Nexium?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers to patients query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
In that case no you don’t need to re do the test again.
Results would be the same!
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng