Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Under mild steroids for polymyositis. Suggest best treatment

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My mother is affected by polymyositis. She was under mild steroids for 5 days and they were weened. Suggest best treatment which will prepare her to walk again. Thanks a million.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I understand your concern; however no single approach is best.

First step in treatment for polymyositis is to take a corticosteroid medication.
Corticosteroids work by suppressing immune system, limiting the production of antibodies and reducing muscle inflammation, as well as improving muscle strength and function.

If a corticosteroid medication doesn't seem to be working effectively or causing side effects, your mother can be switched to other medication like Corticosteroid-sparing agents (Azathioprine/ Methotrexate), Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), Biological therapies (Rituximab, Tumor necrosis factor inhibitor) after consulting your doctor.

In addition consult a physical therapist who can show your mother exercises to maintain and improve the strength and flexibility and advise an appropriate level of activity. Physiotherapy and rehabilitation can bring her strength and make her walk again.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Under mild steroids for polymyositis. Suggest best treatment 1 hour later
Thank you doctor. She is in the course of these medications only. And also physical therapy is going on. Meanwhile in the last two months no considerable improvement is seen. So we were thinking if she can parallely go through Ayurvedic treatments like massages and relaxation at some centre in Kerala. What do you suggest? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

Simultaneously, she can go through Ayurvedic treatment like massage and relaxation. These might also be good for maintaining and improving the strength and flexibility.

I hope this answers your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and give review.

Wishing her good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor