Trying to find what is going on with my mother.
A week ago she showed me the middle finger on her other hand, there was a small black line, told me she was going to keep an eye on it. Yesterday I saw it again and it has started spreading throughout her nail and told me the pain woke her up in the middle of the night, again kept her awake most of the night last night. She went to her Dr. yesterday (the same one she saw before) and now she wants to treat her for a fungus and prescribed an antibiotic.
I feel like there may be an underlying condition that is causing this but all the research I have done comes up with nothing. Then the fact the lab came back as Endocarditis is really confusing me since they have checked her heart and done lab showing no infections.
Really hoping someone else may have an idea of what is going on so we can tell her Dr. and maybe get a referral. I should also note she does have arthritis and is currently taking celebrex for it
It needs a heart ultrasound to decide definitively the diagnosis of endocarditis
Hello and welcome in "Ask a doctor".
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Please could you send me an attached picture of her finger with the small black line and lab results.
Usually, according to the guidelines and my experience as well , endocarditis is a diseases that needs blood culture and heart ultrasound or transezophageal heart ultrasound to decide the diagnosis and not just with blood results.
Hope I have answered your query.
Feel free to ask me further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can HIV be contracted from biting someone on the clothing?
- Suggest treatment for fever, lack of appetite and loose stool
- Suggest treatment for persistent headache while on antibiotics
- Suggest treatment for recurrent malaria
- What does my IGG result report indicate?
- What causes lymph node swelling while treating tuberculosis?
- Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?
- Suggest treatment for red bumps on the vaginal lips and inner groin area
- Suggest treatment for severe sore throat and jaw pain
- Is HIV RNA test done 2 weeks post exposure conclusive?