Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive. Slightly overweight. Suggested D & C for the infection. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 218 Questions
I am 34 yrs old, married since 9 yrs, have a 7yr old son
we 've beeing trying to have a child since the past 9 months.
I usually get my periods for only 2 days. Iam slightly overweight
Most of my tests including blood, urine, TSH , follicular study were normal(done last year on my gynaecs recommendation)
today on a friends recommendation, I went to another XXXXXXX dr who did a sonography in his clinic, He said I had an infection and has recommended a D & C for the infection. he has also asked for my husbands semen analysis.
I have no problems at all ..very regular cycles. My 1st preg and conception were absolutely normal and I wonder what is happening this time. Iam really anxious
1) Should I go ahead with this line of treatment? Pls do advise
2) Most ppl say its easier to concieve after a D& C. Pls do advise

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 1 hour later
welcome to health care magic

the last time you were pregnant was 8 years ago

The tests you have done you say are normal

but you husband's sperm count is also important. There can be a lowered count over the years in few cases. hence your consultant recommended that he does his test

It will also be recommended that you get a fallopian tube test done to see if they are open or over the years if they have developed any problem silently and can get blocked

about the infection you mentioned, I am not sure what your consultant is suspecting, but you can get it tested and treated

D & C is practiced by many consultants, to see if the endometrium - i.e, lining of the uterus in normal and responding do your body hormones properly

As you are 34 years you can plan investigations and some treatment as you have been trying naturally for over 6 months and has not worked

hope to have answered your query
Dr Nandita Thakkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Slightly overweight. Suggested D & C for the infection. What to do? 42 minutes later
thank you for your reply.
I think what my dr is suspecting is an infection in the uterus
while performing a sonography, he actually showed it to me on the screen
So, should i go ahead with a D & C
Also would there be greater chances of conception once this procedure is done
(since the tubes would get cleaner)
Thank You
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 13 hours later
hello again

D & C gives knowledge of the endometrium

Tubes can be tested only with Hysterosalpingiography or laproscopy + XXXXXXX test

however if your consultant has suggested the procedure which you can go ahead
which can improve the chance of pregnancy
There are many papers recently that curattage of the uterus increases the chance of pregnancy

wish you all the best

dr XXXXXXX thakkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor