Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Tooth abscess, outer part of cheek, lower part of nose swollen. Antibiotics to be taken?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 8 Questions
having tooth abscess .... from yesterday night , outer part of cheek between eye and lower part of the nose swollen, no severe pain.... please suggest an antibiotics for me ......
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing to WWW.WWWW.WW and asking your query.

You mention that your 'outer part of cheek between eye and lower part of nose is swollen' and that this could be due to a 'tooth abscess'.

Such a swelling could be also due to periodontal disease (gum disease) or bone/maxillary disease.

Please remember that the extent of disease and swelling will determine whether the 'abscess' will respond to an antibiotic or not. Many times a big abscess will have so much pus that antibiotics will not be effective. In such a situation, draining the abscess is the recommended treatment. It may cause a few moments of pain but will result in long lasting and sustained recovery.

An analgesic/anti-inflammatory will also be helpful, along with an antibiotic.

The professional norms of practicing Dentistry as well as the terms and conditions of this website, prevent and prohibit me from prescribing any medicines to you without a proper examination and evaluation. You may find it frustrating, but it is aimed at protecting the interests of the general public and keeping the principle of 'Safety First' as our guiding principle.

I strongly recommend visiting the nearby Dental Surgeon/Dentist for a full examination and prescription of required medicines.

I hope I have satisfactorily addressed your concern.

My best wishes.

Dr (Mrs) Ashu Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor