Thyroid gland removed. Taking ayurvedic medicine for HBP. Feeling drowsy and weak. Any advice?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm writing for my husband, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX He is 45 years, 56 kgs wt. He has high BP since Oct'12. We consulted the doctor immediately and she prescribed Tozar tablet. My husband had his thryroid gland removed in early 2006 after being detected with Papilary Carcinoma, he is taking Electrocin ever since the surgery. After his BP showed variations, we got his TSH checked and it showed low level. So doctor advised us to stop Electrocin for 2 weeks, and then he started taking it but on lower dosage. Still his BP level appeared to be high (156-100). End of Dec '12, he moved to Ayurvedic medicine for his BP, since the medicine had not effect, after starting Ayurvedic medicine, in two days time his BP level came down, but he feels very weak throughout the day after taking the Ayurvedic tablet . He feels drowsy and cannot do his work, all the time he wants to rest. He is a person who is very systematic when it comes to work, so this is making him more upset. Please advise doctor what is to be done. My email id is given below
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 29 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The pressure elevation is moderate.
No need to panic.

There are several classes of drugs.
There are several drugs in each class.
He will definitely benefit from one of them.
Medicines need time to act...
If one drug is not effective, another drug from a different class has to be chosen
At times, combinations need be given

If the pressure is not controlled or difficult to control, he may need more investigations – hormones other than thyroid, renal function and so on.

Stick to one system of Medicine
Stick to your doctor / can seek second opinion - Nephrologist or cardiologist will be the one to consult and continue
He will guide in further assessment and assistance.

I couldn't comment on other systems of Medicine - about which I have no idea and in which I am not competent...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 9 minutes later
Thanks Doctor
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 9 minutes later
All the Best
God bless you