Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Throbbing pain in the ear with discharge

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
earsI am a female age 16 I have an earache and it hurts me to lay down I'm in pain and I wanna cry I've had drainage and my ears have been in throbbing pain
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your ear ache (otalgia) is due to an ear infection (otitis) , sometimes with mastoiditis. The throbbing pain is as bad as dental pain. Do you have fever? Did you have a recent cold? How is your hearing? Is this the first time? Have you had any recent ear piercing? Do you have any vertigo (dizziness)?

2. Is your ear discharge colorless or purulent? If it is muco-purulent, the discharge usually arises from the middle ear.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your ears. The ear discharge can be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

4. Since the pain is so severe, throbbing and hurts when you lie down, you should seek immediate medical attention.

5. You may require ear cleaning, antibiotics, medicated ear drops (sometimes antifungal), pain killers, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision.

6. You can expect prompt relief with medication.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor