Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

158 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Thanks for asking. You previously answered my question about my

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 1989 Questions

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: Thanks for asking. You previously answered my question about my wife and her gastric distress. She has tried everything and nothing seems to help. What is strange is that she is OK for a while after eating but about2 hours later she is in misery. What is it that would cause distress after 2 hours. She had been provided anti acid remedies but none help. Could it be more than acid? She burps occasionally but not to excess and she has never had GERD, nor reflux. No vomiting nor pain.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Peptic ulcers.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query my previous thread and here is my advice.

The symptom you are telling is tell tale sign of peptic ulcers. Peptic ulcers means that there is some breach in the soft layer of mucosal cell which lines the stomach and intestine.
As a person takes food large amount of acid is secreted in stomach.So if the site of ulcer is stomach then a patient has severe pain on eating.However the bolus of food in stomach reaches duodenum in two to three hours.So if site of ulcer is duodenum then pain starts two to three hour after meals.This is a tell tale sign of duodenal ulcer.
I would recommend her to go for endoscopy.A machine with camera on it would be inserted into her stomach and duodenum and photos and videos of that area would be seen.
To heal ulcers sucralfate would be started in doses of 1gram four times a day with strong antacids like Esomeprazole 80 mg twice daily.
Some times a bacteria named H.pylori is also associated with ulcers.If endoscopy shows it's presence H pylori kit would be given.

She should go for endoscopy now.
Follow up with reports,
God bless her and good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on