Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Tested marginally positive for rheumatoid arthritis. Having joint pains. Also suffered acute lambago. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
i had tested marginally positive for rheumatoid arthirits 7 years back. had taken Rumalaya by Himalaya on a ortho's advise for two months and felt better. Off late for the last two years i am facing pains in various large joints - left knee, right elbow, right palm index finger joint. I have also sufferd from acute lumbago last year and am doing regular exercise for my back. However the joints getting effected is botehring me. Can you suggest a Rheumatologist i can visit. I lie near powai however can travel to get the required medical attention.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that you having an acute exacerbation of rheumatoid arthritis. A rheumatologist is the best person to consult in this regard.
The medications for treatment have to be continued for long term with proper follow up. Disease modifying drugs will be most helpful in your case.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
Following these measures might help you:
1. Follow regular exercises like feet exercises, walking, Stretching exercises.
2. Hot fomentation might help during episodes of severe pain.
3. You can also see a physiotherapist for particular joint exercises.
You can try gaultheria oil or oil of winter XXXXXXX so many patients of mine are telling they are relieved of pain with that.

You have to apply the oil on the area that has pain.

Increasing the dietary fish intake and/or fish oil capsules (omega-3 capsules) can sometimes reduce the inflammation .
To find a good Rheumatologist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tested marginally positive for rheumatoid arthritis. Having joint pains. Also suffered acute lambago. Suggestion? 17 minutes later
hi Doctor thanks for your guidance. i am hover not able to find the link in the site where i can get the doctors name. i reaaly need to see a rheumatologist desperately. please help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I am sorry you had difficulty in finding the appropriate link. Since I am based in northern India, i am unable to refer you to a proficient Rheumatologist near Powai whom I know personally.
One of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good
doctor. Please send mail to CRM team, YYYY@YYYY .
Hope this answer is helpful.
Do accept the answer in case there are no follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor