Owl Image

Test showed low immunoglobulin m. What does this mean? Any complication?

Excellent

Question
Dear Doctor,
Please guide for following results-
Immunnoglobin M =0.36g/L, Im G 12.04 g/L, C4 = 0.43 G/L, C3= 1.29 G/l,
Na= 141, K =4.6, CO2 =27, Urea 6.4, Beta 2 Globulin 5.28 /L, Gamma Globulin 11.9 g/L
Dear Doctor,
,Lab shows that Ig M are low like 50 % low, in urine dysmorphic red cells, ESR is always high, ANC 1:80,
What does is low IMMUGLOBIN M means ? does this serious, what tests can be done in order to evaluate further.
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 18 hours later

IgM ( Immunuglobulin M) is one among the five types of immunoglobulin present in a person. Other types are IgG, Ig A, IgD and IgE. Immunoglobulin is a type of protein that helps in our immunity.

Usually the deficiency of IgM remains asymptomatic. Hence it is found out only when being investigated for other diseases like autoimmune diseases or malignancies. All these immunoglobulin are produced by B-lymphocytes in the body. When an IgM deficiency is noted, the first thing to do is to check whether other immunoglobulin are also reduced. If it is an isolated IgM deficiency, there is not much of scientific data to enlighten us with its causes or effects. With the investigation reports you have posted here, it does not look serious.

What other tests can be done for evaluation?
-     Serum immunoelectrophoresis to rule out clonal B cell disorders such as multiple myeloma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia etc.
-     Flow cytometry for B cells with surface IgM.
-     Routine investigations to rule out associated infections may be required.

Hope I have addressed all your concerns. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Thank you