Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Teeth are damaged after an accident. Should I have root canal treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 700 Questions

I need to get dental treatment done for my mother (Age 58). Last week at XXXXXXX dental clinic she was advised to get root canal done for one more teeth, have tooth cap for 5-6 teeths and to replace the existing metal plates. Basically doctor suggested complete makeover and i am not sure if dental treatment should get done in steps over 5-6 months or is it good to do everything at the same time.

I am looking for your suggestion for any reliable dental clinic where we can have second opinion.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As you told about your mother's history that she got accident & her teeth got damaged. I would suggest that she should go for RCT of all those damaged teeth followed by Porcelain Fused Metal capping.

It is better to get those metal plates removed because they look esthetically bad.

Without proper clinical examination, I can't say what all teeth require RCT & capping.

It is better to get an O.P.G (OrthoPantoGram) done & then get proper diagnosis & treatment plan.

I would also like to tell you that this procedure does not require 5-6 months rather it can be completed within a month. No need to worry.
It is better to get it started as soon as possible.

You can consult any good running near-by hospital for second opinion.

I hope this information helps you.

Take Care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Teeth are damaged after an accident. Should I have root canal treatment? 7 hours later
Thanks for your prompt response.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 37 hours later

You are most welcome.
If you are satisfied with my answer and do not have any questions, please close this discussion and rate the service.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor