• question-icon

What causes black spots on the roof of the mouth after tooth extraction?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hello! Ten days ago I had some dental surgery to remove a bone fragment from my upper mouth. Prior to that, about two months ago, I had a fully erupted wisdom tooth extracted from my upper left side. Unfortunately a bone fragment came loose and migrated downward. Ten days ago my dentist made an incision and had to tug and cut quite a bit to remove the bone fragment and he then sutured it closed.

The pain has subsided, other than some residual soreness. I did notice that at the incision site there is a yellowish coating covering it that can almost be scraped off, with red underneath it....I'm attaching a picture of the site. I also noticed in my lighted magnifying mirror that there are some small pinpoint size blackish/reddish spots in the roof of my mouth on that same side...I'm attaching another image but they are hard to see.

Can you please advise if the site looks to be healing properly and also what the black pinpoint spots may be??

Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried so much .seems like brusing . Do salt water gargle .

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX.
Thanks for consulting Healthcare magic .
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query .

I have read your query and gone through the image you have attached . As far as i have obsereved there is nothing to worry , extravtion site seems like it is healing properly . Discoloration of black, blue can be due to bruising beneath the tissues. This is a normal post-operative occurrence.
For this i will suggest you to do warm salt gargle 3 to 4 times a day . Avoid rubbing the area with your tongue. Maintain good oral hygiene.
If your problem persists more then 15days then consult oral surgeon for clinical examination.

Hope this will help you.
If you have further query i will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist