Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Teenaged, have rapid ear growths since infancy that interfere with hearing, neck pain. Medication and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
My daughter (17) had rapidly (VERY rapidly) growing growths in her ears as infant. They told me that sometimes they couyld treat with a drop and it would dissolve the tumor things. This they did, it worked, but they said it could come back. Now I am in a different area and they say they never heard of these tumors and don't know what the med the doctor used to dissolve them was (oily drops that smelled and hurt when they touched my fingers). She is 17 and scared. When these growths get big they interfere with hearing and hurt neck and down her shoulders. she has had many ear problesm over the years but these growths never came back -- they narrow the ear canal. any ideas what the medication was? It worked miracles......? the doctor here says "swimner's ear" but there is no way, i have a lot of kids and KNOW what it is ...
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 43 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The details provided is clear that your daughter had previous multiple episodes of ear discharge and ear infections for which ear tubes were put and treatment. Now without proper details, it would be hard to guess the growth and it's treatment. However my bet would be on ear polyp. She may have had polyps in the ear, which is the edematous mucosa or skin of middle part of ear. The skin of middle ear gets edematous because of recurrent infections and discharge, if proper antibiotic is not taken.

Your previous doctors must have prescribed antibiotic and steroid ear drops to control the infection.

If she has similar symptoms now, you can advise her to see an ENT specialist and to get her ears checked so that ears can be examined for--
Perforation in the ear drum
Edematous mucosa
Presence of discharge

She can consider a course of antibiotics after consulting your doctor. And later (if it is the same disease) then she can be operated to get complete relief from the disease.

In the meanwhile the following measures will offer protection:
1. Keep ears dry i.e. do not allow water to enter her ears while she is taking bath or going out in rains.
2. Prevent from loud sounds
3. Prevent her from recurrent nose infections/ nasal blockage/ nasal discharge.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor