Taking hydromorph contin sr 30mg for chronic pain. Found pregnant. Any harm on unborn?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: hi my name is XXXXXXX . i just found out im pregnant, i had a miscarriage sept 22/12. found myself unplanned for this,, my concern is that im a cronic pain ptient and i take hydromorph contin sr 30mg 12 per day. + dilauded +other meds. i have severe cronic pain for the last 20 years. i have 2 children. i am very scared that these pills will affect the early development of this unborn child these are the exact meds ive been on for 7 years
-hydromorph contin 30mg take 4x3a day
dilauded 8mg 3 pills 4x a day as need
zoplicone 7.5 mg 2 @bedtime
xanax 0.5 x3 per day as needed
prozac 75mg per morning
singular for asthma
advair puffer
submutmal puffer too
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The medicines you are taking now specially hydromorphine and xanax are Category C drugs which means that it may not be safe to use during pregnancy but if the treating Doctor feels that the benefits outweigh the risks involved then it can be given.
So, you need to consult your physician as well as the gynecologist regarding the medicines that you can continue taking safely without having much discomfort. A clinical assessment of the symptoms is necessary to find out the appropriate doses needed.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply to my query. I can't see my doctor till feb5. I would like to feel a little more at ease just if you can clarify what sort of problem can category c drugs affect the early development in the fetus. I will follow with my dr. But the to this question relays solely on whether I should prolong this pregnancy. The last thing I want to happen is cause my baby brain disorder or abnormalities. Please can you clarify the affects these code c drugs may have. Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The category C drugs can cause the drug dependence, fetal developmental anomalies or delayed development in the baby. They may affect the overall baby growth and may not show any affect on the baby in many cases. So, it is necessary to balance the risk and the benefits. It is best if you could see your doctor earlier and get these doses reduced to a minimum.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.