Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Swollen eye, head swollen, blood pumping in the region's veins. Will the problem be fixed by resting?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1173 Questions
Ok, I have been looking at my computer screen (and thinking , focusing ...) for about a week playing online games and I had a few hours of sleep every night. First I noticed that my right eye is a little swollen and looked a little bigger. then after 2 or 3 days I felt that right side of my head ( the bone of the skull above my ear) is swollen as well and I had some pain in my head. then I decided to stop playing and take some rest... after two days of resting now I still feel right side of my head and my eyes are a little swollen. I can also feel blood bumping in this region's veins. I am a little worried ... will the problem be fixed only by resting or it is something serious ?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 17 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Since you have not mentioned it I presume that there is no redness and discharge from your right eye as well as there is no history of any other injury.

In case your vision from both eyes is equal and the problem is not improving by now, it calls for few investigations.

You can do a self check before you XXXXXXX a doctor. First and foremost we have to decide that whether there is a swelling or not by basic physical examination. You can ask somebody to look at your face and eyes on both sides and compare if there is a difference. Thereby we ascertain that there is an organic problem and not just a feeling of heaviness. Feeling of heaviness at the eye occurs occasionally and passes off after a brief rest.

So if there is real swelling then we start with an eye checkup to find out the reason of swelling and extent of it. Also there is a fundus examination (with a special instrument) which allows us to have a look at a part of brain through the eyes to find out any reason for the swelling.

So the treatment depends after evaluation. Meanwhile you can change your lifestyle. Eat healthy food have plenty of exercise with ample rest for 8 hours a day. Restrict watching TV for long hours. Adjust the brightness of the monitors. Take breaks once every half an hour.

Hope this can do the trick and you will be fine. Let me know if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swollen eye, head swollen, blood pumping in the region's veins. Will the problem be fixed by resting? 5 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thank you for your reply,

I have to mention that there's no redness and discharge from my eyes and my vision is not affected at all. I am also sure that it wasn't just a feeling of heaviness and I could feel the swollen parts by touching my eye and head. one of my friends also confirmed it by looking at my head.

Now after 3 days I feel the swelling is almost gone ( 80 % is gone ). but I still feel a little pain and also I feel the blood moving in the veins. (the veins are still a little swollen)

about my lifestyle yes you are right I have to take more care about myself, but this issue is because of a very hard pressure on my nerves and eyes over a short period of time and I hope I would not do it again.

The question is if it got better by resting should I still visit a specialist. I mean can it be something more serious ? do I have to go to hospital to do an MRI or something similar ?

And what kind of specialist should I visit, because I believe that it might be the nerves that are damaged a little bit... should I visit a neurologist or other specialists ?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me with the answers and clarifications.

This for all practical purposes seems to be an undetermined inflammatory response in that region, of vague cause, may be some viral infection. Such problems may be aggravated by low immunity due to stress and general fatigue.

The chances are that by the time you are seen by a specialist there will be no evidence of any disease.

This may be an arthritis of unknown origin.

If necessary you can see a general medicine doctor or a physician.

All you need is a life style management and you will be fine.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor