Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Swellon legs, breathlessness. Tests normal. Diagosed filarial lymphedema. Is this curable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Hi Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX My husband is not feeling well. he is 31 years old and he is having swelling in both legs (foot) without any pain and all the tests are normal (Sugar, BP, Urea and Vascular scan-Venous doppler scan). Doctor's said that it was filarial lymphedema. and also he is having breathing problem. even he is not able to sleep properly. and he is having pain in his upper stomach part feeling like something hard in his stomach. please advice whether its curable.what type of physician should I have to contact for this type of issues.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern for your husband.

It is good that the reports are normal; still I feel that something is missing. Difficulty in breathing is not explained by oedema due to filariasis.

The swelling in foot can be due to filarial lymph oedema, in case he has history of filariasis.

I think you please consult a cardiologist and get him properly examined. He may require some more investigations like cardiogram,2 D Echo etc.after examination .

It is difficult to have any clue about the problem without examining him.

Please do not ignore this and take him to a center where more specialties are available under one roof.

I think after review by cardiologist things should become clear.

Do not worry, things treated in time always respond better.

I hope this helps.

Write again if you have some more concerns.

Please accept the answer in case you do not have further queries.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor