Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Swelling inside the site of ear piercing. Is it scar tissue?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
I've been reading about lumps at the site of NEW piercings but I've had my ear pierced for YEARS & just recently it started bothering me. It's sore to the touch, with a lump seemingly inside the earring hole. I had thought it was infection & have been squeezing on it but it won't come out. Perhaps it's scar tissue? Should I just give up on the earring and let the hole close up? Also I've had some numbness I'm not sure if it's related but seemed to start at the same time... it feels like I have earphones in and then seems to feel like the earphones are growing to cause pressure and then it goes away. It's sporadic throughout the day....
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The swelling in the vicinity of the ear piercings may be an allergic reaction to impurities in the earrings which have eroded the coating. Nickel, Chromium and other metals are frequently responsible.

2. Infection, cysts and keloid scar formation are other possibilities,

3. You may change the earrings to a pure gold wire for some time if you want to retain the piercing.

4. The numbness implies local inflammation affecting the cutaneous nerves.

5. Get this examined. It may be that the respiratory infection has altered your immune system. Get a prescription for an anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and a local antibiotic, anti-fungal and steroid cream combination.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor