Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Surgery done for broken tib fib. Noticed swelling and getting pain. Safe remedy?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
exercise for broken legI broke my tib fib and had surgery a rod put in.I am 5 and a weeks into my 6 weeks of recovery. My appointment is Friday and i'm just wondering most of my swelling and pain is going.I've been doing knee exercises and my knee feels good but my ankle is still pretty sore and still a little swollen.What can I do to help my knee and ankle be better
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on HCM

First of all I will like that you should relax and allow the healing process to complete. You need to know that, fracture healing is slow and soft tissue inflammation/damage surrounding the fractures can be a little irritating/painful. If you expect immediate 'miracle' healing, you might be disappointed. Generally bone consolidation can take like 6 months to complete but irritation of the areas surrounding the bone can take years, this because of permanent nerve damages. If you experience some pain, then you will require pain killers to alleviate that.
As for the exercise, you will soon recover from your double fracture and can then be involved gradually in physical exercises (including walking, running, hiking, swimming etc). For now, you can do some sit down exercises aimed at stretching your leg muscles ( they should be gradual and not intense so as not to cause another fracture again).
My advice is to keep cool and do exercises gradually and allow for complete bone consolidation before you can engage in intense physical exercises.

Hope this helps and write back if you need more info

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor