Suggest ways to determine malignant freckle

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I have this freckle or mole that has been their for a long as I can remember but when I can't remember is the size- I don't know if it had always been this size or grown
I will attach phofos from 2008 of it and recent -
It is flat and seems to be all one color
No itching oozing or anything alof the nature
The last year
I had a ultrasound and colonscopy
Including liver bladder stomach and pancreas
Complete blood work
Physical
With my anxiety and google I keep thinking I have melanoma and panicking

And help would be great- I will call my dr as well
I do suffer from extreme anxiety
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your mole looks fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Every person has moles. There is nothing strange in that. And your moles are also nothing strange. There is only few percents of melanoma malignum risk. The risk is higher if there is lots of moles and when the person gets lots of sunbathing.
That is why most of moles can be and should be left alone without any surgical intervention.
We also know when a mole is suspicious. If a mole starts itching, changes size, changes color, grows, becomes irregular, should be removed and tested by a histopathologist.
The best way to determine which mole is suspicious, is to visit dermatologist. They have special magnifying tool (dermatoscope) which allows to type suspicious moles.
Your mole does not look suspicious and from your description it has not changed through many years.
Just for your peace of mind you should consult dermatologist.

And my last advice: please do not look for the answer in the internet. It has lots of knowledge but when you start looking, you always find the worst possibilities. Especially if its about diseases. Searching in the Internet about any disease you should know that every case and every person is very different.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
My problem is i do not know if it is larger- i know rhe internet is not my friend but a go to

Additional photos be sure
Safe
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
I can see your photos. Its hard to tell basing on them. Please note that minimal growth through 6 years is not a suspicious mole sign. When the melanoma malignum appears, the mole growth is much quicker so it can be noticed.
But still, this answer does not rule the melanoma out. Its just impossible basing on the photos only. No matter what information you will get from this service, you need to visit dermatologist. Just for your safety.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Thank you for answering me-

I made an appointment for wednesday

I hate worrying
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
In my opinion there is no reason to be worried. For 99% there is no melanoma in this mole.
But I also know that the only thing which will make you 100% sure that everything is fine with your moles is dermatologist with dermatoscope. That is why there is no other way.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
You made me feel better! I love this service

I am ao scarred fromy mom dying pf cancer it has ruined me
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Most of cancers are sporadic cases. It means that this doe not runs in a family (it is not hereditary).
It is proven that some part of breast cancers are hereditary. Such cancer must appear in young age (before 45). Same rule applies to colon cancer for example. So if your mother died in the age over 50, her cancer was most likely also sporadic case and should not repeat in next generation (its risk is same as every other person).
And melanoma is for sure not the hereditary cancer.