Suggest ways to deal with PTSD and depression

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: my daughter has a few mental concerns sick as ptsd major depression disorder and bipolar 2 ... tonight she lost track of time and had cut herself but does not remember doing this.... I have read about DID ....Is there medication for this condition if it's correct we can ask her prescribed about
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Appropriate diagnosis is essential before drug treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I understand your concerns for your daughter.

Your daughter has PTSD, Major depressive disorder and Bipolar 2 disorder.

Bipolar 2 disorder has both phases of hypomania and major depression.
So, diagnosing both conditions (that is major depressive disorder and bipolar 2 disorder) together is not appropriate.

She had cut herself but does not remember doing this.
Has her PTSD symptoms resolved/controlled?
Actually, Dissociative disorders are difficult to diagnose in people with PTSD.
The amnesias for events may be during the course of PTSD.
Although, bipolar disorder and dissociative disorder can occur together.

Does she has these episodes of forgetting stressful events frequently?
Single event of forgetting might not fall into dissociative disorder.

In my opinion, this is most probably not a DID. The alternation of two or more distinct personality states with impaired recall among personality states is characteristic of DID.

But as your daughter has depression/bipolar (depressive phase) (??), the attempt of self harm could be a part of it.

However, a thorough mental status examination is extremely essential for proper diagnosis.

Regarding DID, there is no specific drug.
The treatment is mainly symptomatic in these cases depending on the behavior of the patient.
Antidepressants for depressive states, antipsychotics to control behavioral agitation are usually prescribed.

I would suggest you to consult her psychiatrist for detailed examination for appropriate diagnosis.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.

Thanks.
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist