Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

181 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment to stop foul smell in the urine in a patient treated for urinary incontinence

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 9737 Questions

Posted on Mon, 30 Jul 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Two weeks prior to Christmas I was taking together Advil and Tylenol as a replacement to my hydrocodone. Then two days after Christmas I started having bladder control problems so I immediately stopped the Advil/Tylenol. I started having a serious bladder control problem and for the first time in my 75 years there was and is XXXXXXX unpleasant
oder. In addition to the oder there is a murkiness to my urine, I am now taking Super Beta Prostate which has taken care of the frequency and uncontrollable urge.
The oder is my biggest concern
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You seem to have UTI secondary .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted urgency ,frequency fr urination and bad odor to urine is most likely to be due to UTI secondary to enalrged Prostate and needs to be investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.

In the mean while start taking broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water to keep urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on