Suggest treatment to relieve stiff neck from 4 days especially in the morning treated with Ibuprofen, Excedrin ES and Tramadol

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a severe x 4 days. It is unlike any stiff neck I have ever had. I was a high forceps delivery 69 years ago. As a result I have TMJ, migraines etc. Stiff neck is a ten at times when I wake up. My neck is moderately swollen and it is moderately difficult to swallow. I have to hold my head to move it. I have been taking ibuprofen, Excedrin ES, tramadol with some relief. I have tried ice,heat and the afore mentioned meds. What should I do next?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

The stiff neck that you have can be due to a muscle spasm related to TMJ or due to cervical spondylosis. For better improvement you need to use a cervical collar to immobilize the neck, increase the dosage of muscle relaxant Tizanidine to twice a day and avoid using a pillow. Do consult an orthopedician if all these measures do not help for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query. Wishing you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D