Suggest treatment to bring down the high fever with strep throat infection in a 6 year old

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: A 6 year old was diagnosed with strep throat this afternoon and was given an antibiotic, which he took. His temperature spiked to 104.8 degree tonight. He was given Tylenol - is there anything else that can be done to lower his temperature? Is this temperature something that happens with a strep throat.? He was tested negative for the flu.
Thank you for any suggestions....
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait for 24 hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I understand your concern. A fever of 104 is not unusual for a strep throat infection, however you need to continue giving your child Tylenol until the antibiotic starts being effective. In 24 hours you should notice the fever going down and you can start spacing the Tylenol doses.
If you do not see any improvement, you should contact the pediatrician for a review of the medication. Also hydration is very important.

I hope this helps. Wishing your child a fast recovery.

Dr. Ornela Ademovi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng