Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms from opiates

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: My finance just stopped taking opiates from a back surgery he had. He is now going through withdrawls such as RLS, joint pain, and muscle weakness. What can I get to help him?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Was it an abrupt stop?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your fiancée is going through. If she stopped these medications abruptly, I will suggest that she gets back on them and taper off slowly so as to minimize the intensity of withdrawal symptoms. If this were not the case, then managing her symptoms would be the next available option. However, if these symptoms do not prevent him from functioning at an acceptable level, I will encourage him to carry through because they would slowly fade over time. Should they be debilitating, I will recommend that he gets to see an addiction specialist for proper management.

In all, if he stopped abruptly, I will suggest that he gets back on the medications and taper off slowly. If that were not the case and symptoms do not prevent him from functioning at acceptable levels, then he should carry on because time would be very helpful. If they are too concerning, then an addiction specialist would be required for prescription medications to address the symptoms.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.