Suggest treatment for vertigo

Question
HI Doctor,

I have been experiencing vertigo and taking stugeron from the pharmacy. Is there any other medicine you could recommend and preventative measure recommended.

Thanks
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue Stugeron.

Detailed Answer:

Vertigo could be multiple reasons like Benign positional vertigo which is common cause for vertigo or it could be inner ear problem like nerve inflammation. Treatment depends upon cause of vertigo.
Stugeron in cinnarizine antihistamine used for to control symptoms of vertigo like vomiting nausea,motion sickness. Continue this medication two tablets twice a day.
If you will not see any improvement after 3 days you can switch over to betahistamine 8 mg three times a day for 5 days. This is a prescription drug.

If your vertigo persist or you will not improve after medication I would suggest you visit an ENT specialist to rule out underlying cause of vertigo by doing full inner ear examination if doctor found any abnormality he/she may Doctor may suggest CT or MRI scan if indicated. Doctor may suggest Epley maneuver to control benign vertigo.
If you are taking any medication discuss with doctor about it,some medications can cause vertigo.

Here I am giving some suggestion
Elevate your head end of bed while lying down.
Drink plenty of water or fluids.
Avoid driving when you get vertigo attack.
Avoid alcohol while taking medication.
Avoid sudden and rapid head movements like looking up and down.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.