Suggest treatment for varicose veins in an elderly person

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 50 years old. My cholesterol and sugar are within the normal range. I have medium body and weigh 68KG for height of 5' 9" (Male). I exercise regularly, sprints, badminton, some weights for the past few years. I have Thelesmia trait and Hb is 11.5. I also have deep Varicose Veins (Class II) for which I wear stockings all the time except during sleep.

Normally when I do a sprint or hard long badminton rally I get breathless but it was coming under control after few deep breaths and a minute of rest. However 3 months back it became difficult to bring it to normal and it took a while of deep breathing.
On another day recently I was biking hard on a exercise bike and once finished, I got off, and suddenly I became dizzy as well as breathing started to increase though I had cooled off on the bike. Immediately laid down with my feet and still was breathing hard. My palm was going cold. I started moving my hands and after some breathing it came under control. I stopped biking after this.

Post this few weeks later, I went on a trip to Thailand and on the first day we were on a big boat with humid temperature I started getting breathless kind of sensation and I started getting nervous imagining previous episode. I started walking around and breathing hard to control but it only increased. I laid down again with my feet up and still didn't control and again the palm went cold. People on the boat told me to breath slow and deep along with muscle relaxation and tightening. It came under control after 15 minutes. That whole week I had similar symptoms.

I immediately went for heart check up with x-ray, TMT, ECG, Echo and CT Scan. All showed normal results.

I restarted exercise by walking slow and light jogging for 20 mins including long warm up and cool down. Post exercise I again started getting dizzy and hard to breath symptoms. The whole day I had similar symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs tests

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of 2 possible causes.
1. a cardiac condition. a slow cardiac modelling changes can result into the symptoms. the blood flows through the muscles when you exercise .when you stop it pools to the heart causing the symptoms.
2. blood supply to brain is obstructive. Thus blood doesn't reach the brain as soon as you stop.

I suggest testing a echocardiography and CV DOPPLER. I'd normal, mri brain should be next.

Please inform us the reports.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.