Suggest treatment for urinary tract infection while using catheter

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 19 May 2014 in Infections
Question: hello Doctor, my mother age 72 attached with brain strock. she got treated and under medication . her pus cells (HPF) -50-60% in her urine test today. she is being using urine tube since 45days.
sodium 141.94 --135-155
potassium - 4.1 (3.5-5)
aluminium - (+)

pls advice
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs treatment according to culture sensitivity..

Detailed Answer:

The excess about of pus and albumin is a strong indication of urinary tract infection. Such infections are common with urinary catheterization. She needs to be treated with appropriate antibiotic; the choice can be guided by urinary culture and sensitivity tests. Let me know the culture report. If it is not done, you should discuss with the treating doctor.

It is advisable to change catheter regularly once every 20-30 days to prevent recurrent UTI. Discuss about the change or removal of catheter with the treating physician.

Overall, current urinary tract infection can be treated. You need not be worried.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 35 minutes later
Thanks for your quick reply sir.

unfortunately she is not speaking. she is talking since last friday.later than she stoped talking. then doc recognised her sodium levels are very low. now only XXXXXXX cells are high, sodium and pottasium are with in the limit.

what could be the reason for her not able to talk ?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection is not the cause of reduced verbal outpu

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern, but infection is not the direct cause of reduced verbal output. Her sodium levels are corrected now, so her drowsiness / consciousness and speech should get back to what it was earlier unless the correction was too rapid.

How low was the sodium and how and where was it corrected? What her doctors opinion on the current problem? The low speech may be organic or due to functional causes. The treating doctor will be able to recognize it.

I would like to discuss more about it if you can provide me with more information.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 29 minutes later
thank u sir,

when her vocal is lost , her sodium levels are 120.

she was given sodium choloride 3% for 5 days.course was complete by yesterday.

what could be the reason for her vocal ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discussing with the primary doctor is important..

Detailed Answer:

Sodium correction from 120mg/dl over 5 days is not rapid. That was reassuring.

The low speech out put was indirectly related to combination of hyponatremia and the infection / sepsis. There are few other causes both functional and organic; but based on the limited information provided, I am unable to relate them here.

It is important that you discuss with the primary treating physician. The doctor can provide information that is not seen through the history. I will be available free to help you treat her once all the current medical conditions / cause is figured out.