Suggest treatment for ulcerative colitis

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've been diagnosed with whipworm, Fasciola hepatica, and threadworm over the last year. Within the last month stool samples show negative for the few parasites out of hundreds that they don't test for. Those were treated/cured with Abendizole, or so they say.

However, my internal medicine specialist ordered a colonoscopy of the bowel.

The colonoscopy and biopsy confirm ulcerative colitis. The test says negative for dysplasia or enteritis and no evidence of infectious organisms.

I have been given Lialda and a 1 month steroid to cause remission.

The remission is not taking and I have constipation and yellow stools made up of thousands of fibers in between semi-normal stools.

Obviously yellow indicates infection, in this case, never ceasing.

The doctor expects me to enjoy a lifetime of pharmaceuticals to treat but not cure the disorder.

I told her that I'm a root cause guy. I don't buy the theory that my body just attacks itself for no reason and I'm certain that my immune reaction is due to some foreign cause.

All that I get from the medical establishment is that I must miss lots of work, take lots of 'limited scope' tests and resign myself to a 'condition'.

That isn't medicine, it's quackery taught to doctors in school by pharmaceutical companies trying to make money. There is no incentive to publicize a root cause that is probably understood in a pharmaceutical laboratory and cure actually this condition.

Can you offer any suggestions for root cause? Or potential cure, or at the very least a non-pharma method of enjoying the rest of my life?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ulcerative colitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

It seems that you had multiple intestinal parasitic infection (might have contacted through travel to tropical countries)and have been treated by anti-helminthic drugs.

However since your symptoms persisted,your doctor advised colonoscopy and the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis (UC) was confirmed by biopsy.

Lialda (mesalamine) is used to treat ulcerative colitis. Many patients with moderate-to-severe UC benefit from oral or parenteral glucocorticoids.

Although UC can present acutely, symptoms usually are present for weeks to months and then undergoes remission.

Multiple factors are involved in UC including gentic,environmental/exogenous factors etc.It is difficult to pinpoint a particular cause.

Nutritional Therapies is non-pharmacological

Dietary antigens may stimulate the mucosal immune response. Enteral nutrition in the form of elemental or peptide-based preparations is as effective as glucocorticoids but these diets are not palatable. You may consult a dietitian for this purpose.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas