Suggest treatment for tremors in the upper and lower limbs

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: 41 yrs old male pt, h/o CVA 7 yrs ago,
Had right Hemiparesis and rubral tremors of right upper limb and lowerlimb.
He was on medication with no improvement,
Hence HE WAS GIVEN THE OPTION OF DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION SURGERY. and he underwent the same. Want to know whether this surgery is approved by FDA in XXXXXXX and how much this surgery will help in this case
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Deep brain stimulation

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxx, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. The deep brain stimulation surgery is approved in XXXXXXX It is approved in most of the countries. It was first approved for tremors in 1997.

Now coming to your second question - For tremors, the DBS is done in thalamus. It has shown good results in essential tremors, resistant tremors. The improvement is seen in 74-78% patients of tremors.
This surgery is indicated only if the tremors are drug resistant. Also the patient has to undergo surgery every 2-3 years in order to change the battery.

So hope for the best. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad