Suggest treatment for toenail fungal infection

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 63 y.o. woman who will be undergoing a total knee replacement on march 14th. It just occurred to me that I have toe nail function of the two big toes. It is possible I have one ingrown toenail but I am not sure. I have no pain it is just that some times that nail never really grows out much. I can go to a podiatrist and have the ingrown toenail taken care of, but the nail fungus I have never been able to get rid of. Will this prevent me from having the knee replacement? it only just occurred to me today. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection of toe nail is not contraindications for TKR.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

Toe nail fungal infection if occurs is not contraindications of total knee replacement.

If its bacterial infection then I don't do total knee replacement.

I advise you to have treatment of toe nail side by side if its fungal infection.

I also advise you to visit podiatrist who will do your local examination and explain you accordingly, for treatment of toe.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng