Suggest treatment for tinnitus

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a "thwocking" sound (thwock, thwock, thwock, etc) in my right ear that disappears when I turn my head to the left. I sometimes have a blocked salivary tube on that side, although I don't currently have that problem. The thwocking sound is very low, and regular.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If this sound is synchronous with your heartbeat, then it is a pulsatile (vascular) tinnitus.

2. Since you have been experiencing a blocked eustachian tube (I presume), get an Impedance Audiometry (Tympanometry) along with a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done, especially when the block is present.

3. A neck vessel colour doppler study should be done. An MR Angiogram would be ideal.

4. Rare conditions such as myoclonus can cause similar sensations.

5. Upload these test results for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.