• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe fatigue and unsteady gait

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: On XXXXXXX 7, my husband started having problems with his gait--sudden onset, progressive weakness. On XXXXXXX 27 he contracted pneumonia and was hospitalized for six days, and then discharged to a rehab facility, where is is now. He is 90 years old and was able bodied before XXXXXXX 7. He has overwhelming fatigue with rehab. Beginning on July 18 he has developed a total body shaking with exertion. He has had essential tremor for over 30 years. He has been examined by three neurologists and had an MRI. He has an L5-S1 pinched nerve, which is why he is in rehab. During and after his hospital stay he had a spike in his liver enzymes which was suspicious for autoimmunie hepatitis. His liver enzymes have now returned to normal.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upload reports and video

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Sudden onset gait abnormality and weakness may be due to stroke or myelitis.
What was diagnosed at that time ? Upload investigations and prescriptions.
The total body shaking can be myoclonus or movement disorder like ballismus, chorea or tremors.
You need to send a video for more clarification.
Are these movements present in Sleep?
Are these movements persistent in resting or supine position.
Get a serum ammonia done as raised ammonia levels in liver disease may cause negative myoclonus causing shaking movements.
Visit and consult a movement disorder specialist.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist