Suggest treatment for symptoms of psoriasis

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Doctor,
I think I have Aguraphobia...(sp?) I have only been out of my house once since a year ago Dec., and it was TWO years before that...the only reason I left was to see my son. Anyway, I have developed severe Psoriasis and edemas......the psoriasis is in my hair, scaly patches all over my body, SEVERE scaling and hard scabs all over my legs...but the worst is, on the bottoms of my feet. They are covered with blsiters and each foot has a large lesion right on the oitside of the arch. I actually did make an appt. with a dermatologist but didnt keep it.,.,.couldn't make myself leave the house. Maybe if I could get some relief on my feet and get some shoes or slippers on, I could get OUT of gerte and get some help! It hurts so much to even stand up...much less walk, that I dont even try to dress. Is there something I can do for the bottoms of my feet?.

I forgot to tell you that about 2 weeks ago I started experiencing scary muscle loss all down my hips and legs. I supposed this was from the prolonged edema...I have also heard Psoriasis can affect your muscles...I can barely walk, even though I do get up every day and do minor chores. I dont know which doctor i should see first! My wonderful old GP, or a Dermatologist .....I also fell and broke off a piece of my jaw that has two live teeth imbedded in it...so a dentist will no doubt do surgery. I cant think straight. I dont know what to do next. I havr see NO doctors or dentists for 4 years. Any advice will be so appreciated! Thank you! (Mickie McGowan)
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should first see a dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health Care Magic, I have gone through your question very diligently, I will try to help you out in best possible way.

In my opinion you should see a dermatologist first for psoriasis and subsequently your wonderful GP as you are taking medicines for Asthma as well and then the dentist lastly, to fix your teeth.

If possible please upload a photograph of the affected area or bottom of your feet. you can simply upload/attach it at the reports section. You can try wearing soft sole foot wears in the meanwhile, avoid weight bearing over that area.

You need not to worry, your problem seems to be a treatable condition, Psoriasis can be best treated with Psoralen and PUVA therapy about which your must be doctor knowing.

Psoriasis aslo affect joints and muscles, so in my opinion if it get adequately treated than you will be able regain strength and pain will be reduced subsequently.

Edema warrants detailed evaluation at your age to rule out kidney, live or heart disease, so I would advise you for Liver function test, Kidney function test, Echo cardiography and EKG to rule out heart disease.

I would advice you to take salt restricted diet and a course of diuretic is recommended under medical supervision.

Hope this answers your question, please feel free to ask for follow up question, I'll be glad to answer .

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee