Does constant intake of Folic acid tablets cause stroke?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I'm a 36 year old female. I was in ICU Tuesday with artery dissection, aneurysm, and several strokes on my right side. Lucky enough not to cause long term damage. Later on my chart my MTHFR lab test showed I was heterozygous. I did some research and now I'm wondering bc in May I had a severe psoriasis outbreak covering about 80%of my body. In August I was put on methotrexate and folic acid. I took it for about two months and usually forgot the folic acid. could there possibly be any connection here as to why I had artery dissection. They said it was injury but I haven't had an injury. that's what got me xurious.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No role of oral folic acid tablets.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
MTHFR gene mutation can be found accidentally.
This causes deficiency of enzyme which is needed for the metabolism of nutrients.
Folic acid supplements (tablets) are actually more harmful because they folic acid can not convert to active metabolite because of mutation.
Better to take more natural 'folate'.
Atherosclerosis is seen with this mutation.
But artery dissection is not commonly seen. So it was mostly due to accident.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D