Suggest treatment for symptoms of anxiety disorder

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I keep having bad thoughts and feelings.today for instance I had a thought and strong feeling to run out the house naked and just keep running to get away, not that I would do that,but the thought and feeling felt so feel. Even if I'm out and see people or dog's, I get very very scared and paranoid. I see things out the corner of my eye, and it could be anything from a tress stump, but my mind would class that as dangerous for that plot few second's. Even if someone is arguing or talking negative, my mind becomes very strange and stressed out. I've even got to the stage I can't be bothered to answer peoples questions much anymore, it's like my mind can't be bothered to answer. It's worse if I'm stressed, or can even cause stress when it happens out the blue. I real like I'm not reality anymore. It's been like this for few months now. I have many different thoughts and feelings that feel real. Even when reading, my mind would read someone that wasn't the real word written in the book. My mind can't keep up with what ppl are saying. Not sure what to do really. It's very hard living this way, and disturbing.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

What you ate describing could be consistent with a few different diagnoses. I am most suspicious about generalized anxiety disorder. Other things could be major depression, OCD, or a psychotic illness. Either way, you need to see a psychiatrist in person for a comprehensive evaluation. You will very likely benefit from at least an antidepressant, and I would fully expect you to feel better with time and treatment.

Dr Sheppe

tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar