Suggest treatment for swollen red area on cheek

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I thought I had a pimple not too far underneath my eye. I attempted to pop it and a very small amount of pus came out and maybe one drop of blood. After that, the affected area became swollen and red. It is now a very noticeable circular bump on my left cheek and not sure what to do. Please advise
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Acne

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you have a swollen red area on your cheek.

I saw the picture you have uploaded.

From your history and description, I would consider the possibility of a secondary bacterial infection, probably introduced by squeezing the pimple which you had.

You will need a course of oral antibiotic like cephalexin or cloxacillin. You need to get this prescribed by your GP.

You could also apply a topical antibiotic like 2% mupirocin or 1% fusidic acid twice a day for 5 days.

You could give some hot fomentation locally to reduce the swelling.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko