Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

136 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for swollen red area on cheek

Answered by
Dr. Johny Chacko


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1919 Questions

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Acne
Question: Hi, I thought I had a pimple not too far underneath my eye. I attempted to pop it and a very small amount of pus came out and maybe one drop of blood. After that, the affected area became swollen and red. It is now a very noticeable circular bump on my left cheek and not sure what to do. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you have a swollen red area on your cheek.

I saw the picture you have uploaded.

From your history and description, I would consider the possibility of a secondary bacterial infection, probably introduced by squeezing the pimple which you had.

You will need a course of oral antibiotic like cephalexin or cloxacillin. You need to get this prescribed by your GP.

You could also apply a topical antibiotic like 2% mupirocin or 1% fusidic acid twice a day for 5 days.

You could give some hot fomentation locally to reduce the swelling.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Take care.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Topical antibiotic

doctor1 MD

My wife has had sores on her arms and legs for about 1 year. They're not painful unless she picks at them. When she does pick at them, there's a small, hard, round ball that comes off. Attached is a photo. Any ideas what this could be?

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor, Recently I noticed this black spot on the right side of my throat and I was just wondering if this is something I should get checked out by my doctor? It kind of came out of nowhere and I just noticed it yesterday and I don’t really...

doctor1 MD

I think i just got bit by a spider. A lot of white spots that look like pimples , its red and swelling.