Suggest treatment for swollen red area on cheek

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Acne
Question: Hi, I thought I had a pimple not too far underneath my eye. I attempted to pop it and a very small amount of pus came out and maybe one drop of blood. After that, the affected area became swollen and red. It is now a very noticeable circular bump on my left cheek and not sure what to do. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you have a swollen red area on your cheek.

I saw the picture you have uploaded.

From your history and description, I would consider the possibility of a secondary bacterial infection, probably introduced by squeezing the pimple which you had.

You will need a course of oral antibiotic like cephalexin or cloxacillin. You need to get this prescribed by your GP.

You could also apply a topical antibiotic like 2% mupirocin or 1% fusidic acid twice a day for 5 days.

You could give some hot fomentation locally to reduce the swelling.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko