Suggest treatment for swelling of hands and feet

Posted on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: My hands and feet are swollen and I am wondering if it is from Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) DS I was prescribed. One ER doctor thought I had MRSA while the other thought I had a bite which caused cellulitis. I still have the localized infection on my leg and now the swelling.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be drug reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Bactrim is one of the notorious drug known to cause fixed drug reaction. Presence of bilateral hands and feet swellings is likely to be due to fixed drug reaction. Exact diagnosis is possible by clinical examination of the lesion.
I would recommend you to stop the drug completely. Steroids may be helpful in reducing further reaction, in consultation with your physician.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS,MS,MCh
Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon