Suggest treatment for strep throat symptoms

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 36 years old, female with previous history of ARDS caused by the influenza virus which progressed to me losing most of my left lung, ALL WHILE I was pregnant and in a paralyzed propofol coma for a little over 10 weeks. It has been five years since this happened. I still have issues with shortness of breath, pain in my chest cavity, and more prone to getting sicker than most is exposed. After my last x-ray approximately eight or nine months ago they saw some nodules and what was left of my left lobe and they were not sure if they were cancerous or not. They said I should follow up within six months for a pet scan, which I have not done yet. Currently I have a fever of about 100 and have had for the last three days. My normal temperature is usually about 96.5 . I have a sore throat and I'm clammy. I get hot and cold very easily. I also get nauseous to the point of throwing up several times a day. My daughter was just exposed to strep throat at school, and our entire family has had strep pass between a few people about twice now in the last two months. does it sound like I have strep throat? Ps. When I cough up phlegm it is greenish.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, possibility of streptococcal infection is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, you are mostly having post infectious bronchitis.
And your current symptoms are worsening due to streptococcal infection.
And bronchitis is known to worsen by throat infections.
So possibility of streptococcal throat infection is more in your case.
Drink plenty of fluids orally. Do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.
Take amoxicillin for streptococcal infection.
Don't worry, you will be alright.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY