Suggest treatment for sprangel shoulder problem in an infant

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son 2 months old born with sprengel shoulder right side. Wat is the treatment for him . When the treatment can be started. Will he have Normal shoulder after the treatment. Please help doctor
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need proper investigations before surgery is planned

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Sprangel shoulder is problem of scapula. In this muscles are not developed and that causes difficulty in movements and cosmetic problems. So I would suggest you to take these steps.
1.There is no hurry, At present you can take help of physiotherapist. She needs to do range of movement exercises.
2.Once she is of 2 years then get CT scan. If their is bony bar then she will need surgery. Also in case there is any cosmetic problem then she will need surgery.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks