• question-icon

Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My horse rolled on me by accident and my saddle horn hit my shin bone now I have a big bump mid lower leg
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think you had a soft tissue injury with collection of blood in the leg in front of shin.This hematoma appears as a bump. It is not a serious issue. You need to follow these steps.
1.Take Brufen or Etoricoxib.
2.Ice application for 48 hours since injury then hot water fomentation.
3.Compression bandage and rest.
4.If there is increase in swelling then you can take a antibiotic prophylactically to prevent any chance of this getting any infection.
Most injuries heal well in two weeks time. If there is continuous pain then you need to visit doctor. I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks

Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 6 hours later
Hi this bump has been there since the 28th of July were now october it should have healed by now
Brief Answer:
This has become organised

Detailed Answer:
If this injury occurred in july and it is still present then I think that it has become organised. A organised hematoma is one in which blood cells changes in to fibrosis. It will decrease in few months now. This happens if medicines are not taken properly or injury is high grade.
There are two options now. One you can get it removed through surgery if it is causing any pain or discomfort. Other wise you can ignore this. It will dissolve with in few months.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
It is very discomfortable I wear cowboy boots all the time and it rubs....
What is the surgery procedure
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a small surgery

Detailed Answer:
If you have problem in wearing boot then it is better you get this surgery. It is a small procedure in which small cut is made under local anesthesia and all fibrous tissue and clotted blood is removed. You will feel better immediately. You can be discharged same day and sutures are removed in two weeks.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement