Suggest treatment for side effects of Paxil

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have been on paxil 40mg 1 a day for a few years I started having no sex drive and ed so I decided to try to stop paxil to get sex back in my life I have been having scarey vivid nightmares I started taking 20mg half a tablet can this be from paxil and am I coming off to quickly
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gradual dose reduction should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Yes rapid reduction of dose is the reason of symptoms you're having. If you were taking the 40 mg dose regularly so to stop the drug gradual dose reduction is needed. Dose should be reduced gradually over 6-10 weeks to prevent the withdrawal symptoms. After about 2 weeks dose reduction of 10 mg should he done. This will prevent any withdrawal symptoms.

Please discuss with your doctor before making any change in prescription.

Thanks and Take care