Suggest treatment for severe leg pain

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Pain 8-9 right leg causing gait disturbance and lack of mobility since 6/20/2017. These sypmtoms after upper respiratory congestion. Have implant plate and screws from broken fibula right leg. Ankle screws removed in 2013 resulting in gram positive strep infection. Treated when septic. History of DVT. Emergency room visit ultrasound negative.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be slipped disc

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel ,Orthopedic Surgeon.
In my opinion your current pain has nothing to do with old surgery at the ankle. This appears to be due to Slipped disc in spine causing pressure on one of the nerves. This could have been precipitated after coughing due to respiratory congestion.
My suggestion- if your leg has no infection now, to go for MRI of lower back to diagnose the cause. Start Pain killers , muscle relaxants and physio in the meantime.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj