Suggest treatment for severe leg pain and swelling of the ankles

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my left leg from my hip down to my feet hurt, pain 10 a scale from 1-10 when i sit for more than an hours driving and my ankle swell when i sit for several hours at my desk and driving
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a disc disease.

Detailed Answer:
It seems you are suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI of spine to find the extent of damage you have suffered.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal