Suggest treatment for severe hives on the body

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 6 yr old grandson has hives which are getting worse. We went to the pediatrician, and she said allergic reaction to amoxicillin and prescribed Benedryl. He is know complaining of headache, pain all around his neck & his legs hurt,
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Headache and the pain could be associated with such an allergic reaction but blood investigation needs to be done to rule out infection. I would request you to upload image of the affected areas. It will help me to evaluate the condition. Taking some antiallergic like benadryl (or possibly better ones like fexofenadine or loratidine which are prescription medicines) should help. You could also apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion. Give him Tylenol for the pain and headache.

It might take a few days to recover and so you need to be patient.

I would await your response based on which I will guide you further. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng