Suggest treatment for severe headache

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have severe headaches that slowly go away one or twice a day. My blood pressure is fine. The headache is like the worst headache I've ever had. My wife thinks it's a panic attack. Do panic attacks include headaches?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Short answer is YES...panic attacks can trigger headaches

Detailed Answer:
Good morning. Thank you for your question on headaches. The short answer to your question is YES, panic attack can trigger severe headaches just as any high emotional or stressful situation can. Stress in fact is believed to be the #1 trigger for all types of headaches. Having said that you've not given much information to deduce what else is going on that makes your wife say you're having "panic attacks" since having a severe headache is not the diagnostic feature of that type of problem. Also, you're on narcotic drugs which I'm assuming must be dosed at least every 12 hrs. if not more frequently. Severe headaches can also be precipitated by ABSTAINING from narcotics for a prolonged period of time. Or, if the headaches are BRAND NEW in nature (i.e. you've never had headaches before and these only began in the recent past and are escalating) then, this could raise other concerns and that means I would get a checkup by a neurologist or headache specialist to be sure nothing else could be happening.

Blood pressure whether high, low, or normal has very little to do with headache pathogenesis unless there is a spontaneous and precipitous INCREASE in pressure which can then, cause an explosive like headache.

My recommendation is that since these headaches are obviously bothering you to the point to drive you to write a question about it on this network and they have what sounds to be a cyclic nature to them that you seek out either a neurologist or headache specialist who will need to make the diagnosis on exactly what type of headache you are suffering from and then, decide a plan of treatment. You don't want to let this go to the point where headaches start becoming continuous and then, lead to having vegetative symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and other unpleasantries because then, you're going to be scrambling for relief and that never results in anything except knee jerk types of responses by ER's and Urgent Care Centers which in the long run make things worse since they are not focused on trying to find the cause to your headaches so much as just trying to give you immediate relief and you don't to be placed on more medications unnecessarily.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 17 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.