Suggest treatment for severe cough and cold

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My wife has had a cold for a number of weeks and finally went to the doctor.Her cough produces phlegm and it isnt a constant cough. Her doctor ordered a chest ex-ray and it revealed a small ring like item on the xray between the 3rd and 4th rib where she has had pain for some time. She now needs a CT scan and is scared to death that she may have cancer,which I am sure that it could be a possibility but I am trying to calm her down and wait for the results. She is a former smoker ,light smoker for a short period.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT and fibrobronchoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.

Based on the history you've mentioned, a chronic cough in a smoker patient should be examined further. If she were my patient i would also recommend a CT with i/v contrast.

If the result is negative than the next step would be :

Fibrobronchoscopy for thorough evaluation of the airways.

I can understand your concern, but it's better to know the disease first as it'll not only provide the peace of mind but also will help to cure it faster.

I wish your wife a very good health.
Feel free to ask further.

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee