• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Should i go to the hospital since i been constipated for 9 days even though at home renedies made some progress?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Miralax.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

You can initially take Polyethelene Glycol.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution(Miralax).It is used to empty the colon. PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon. The medication also contains electrolytes to prevent dehydration and other serious side effects that may be caused by fluid loss as the colon is emptied.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (PEG-ES) comes as a powder to mix with water and take by mouth.You have to drink one 8 ounce of PEG-ES every 10 or 15 minutes, and to continue drinking until your liquid bowel movements are clear.It will clear your bowel.,you can take Magnesium citrate also along woith it both are over the counter.
In case if it also does not help go to nesrest emergency room for Digital evacuation.It involves the use of fingers to aid in the removal of stool from the rectum.Stool is emptied by gently inserting a finger into the rectum and removing it.

Hope it helps you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 minutes later
Dont i need a persciption for that?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No its OTC.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Miralax is Over the counter dear.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist