Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Back Pain
Question: My wife is getting severe back pain. Which doctor to consult.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult an orthopedic surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Common causes of low back pain are-

Poor postural habits
Muscular strain
Ligaments sprain
Herniated disc
Spinal stenosis
Osteoporosis
Fibromyalgia
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your orthopedic surgeon.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
Hot fomentation and oral muscle relaxants can provide a temporary relief till then.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
We went to hospital, but orthopaedic surgeon are not available as it is a Sunday. She has suggested few medicines which I have enclosed for your perusal. If the pain dose not subsidies she said will take x ray. Please suggest If she has suggested correctly. Or shall I take her to a different hospital where I get a orthopaedic doctor.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can start with these medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the attached prescription. She has been started on mild pain killer and local gel. It is best to apply the gel after a hot compress. She can start with the medicines prescribed and in case the pain is still persistent after having 2-4 doses then she may need oral muscle relaxants like Tab. Tolagin 8 mg twice a day for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.