question-icon

Suggest treatment for seizures in a child

Posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2016
Question: WE HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD SON AND OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS WE NOTICED THAT ON OCCASION HE CLINCHES HIS FISTS AND HIS TEETH AND HIS FACE GETS RED. HE DOES NOT GET UPSET AND IT CAN HAPPEN ANY MOMENT BUT NEVER NOTICED ANYTHING WHEN HE IS ASLEEP. HE COULD BE PLAYING WITH TOYS, THIS HAPPENS AND THEN HE WILL CONTINUE. THE EPISODE IS OVER IN LESS THAN A MINUTE. HE HAS NEVER HAD A SEIZURE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS BUT I AM GETTING CONCERNED. WHAT ARE YREKA THOUGHTS?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar (35 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. These episodes may be breath holding spells or seizure.
If there is no tongue bite, incontinence, frothing, weakness of limbs then seizure is less likely.
You should upload a video of episodes.
You can visit a neurologist for evaluation regarding need for eeg or brain imaging.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist